Bake up these simple broccoli with scallops foil packets and have dinner ready in a snap! Or Grill your seafood foil pockets with veggies and your favorite seasonings and make one great dish! For more seafood recipes see my Seafood page.
Are you intimidated by cooking scallops? I know I was until I tried putting them into foil packets! I love this super simple way to make a healthy dinner. You add your seafood, veggies, and seasonings bake or grill them and it’s done!
I have tried these using shrimp and scallops with broccoli. Both come out perfectly steamed. The trick is what to put on them!
How to Season Scallops or Shrimp
The first time I made these they came out a little bland. The next time I added a little more seasoning to make the flavors pop.
- Try common favorite flavorings, like Old Bay Seasoning, chili lime seasoning, cilantro, or cajun seasonings.
- Add a squeeze of lemon or lime to the packets.
- Try adding white wine instead of chicken broth.
- Drizzle with olive oil instead of butter.
- Drizzle with honey or add a dash of soy sauce.
Broccoli and Scallops Foil Packets
What other veggies can I use instead of broccoli?
You can try the seasonings I used in this recipe or create your own!
- Corn, cherry tomatoes, shallots, and spinach, white wine or chicken broth, and butter.
- Mushrooms, rosemary, butter, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Corn, red potatoes (partially boiled, softened) andouille sausage, Old Bay Seasoning, garlic powder, butter, and beer.
Baking & Grilling Options:
You could cook shrimp and scallops together on their own packet. Then the broccoli separately so you can cook it a bit longer if you want more tender broccoli.
How to Thaw Scallops and Prepare for Cooking
- Thaw scallops in a bowl of cold water for about 10-20 minutes or until they are completely thawed out. You can also thaw them overnight in the refrigerator.
- Lay them on paper towels and thoroughly pat them dry with another paper towel to absorb all the liquid before baking, grilling, or searing.
How to Make the Foil Packets
- Cut 3-4 foil pieces into 14 x 12-inch sections.
- Lay them out separately on the counter.
- Add the fillings, season, and bake or grill.
- 1 lb large frozen scallops, thawed
- 2 Fresh broccoli heads, washed and chopped (or frozen florets thawed)
- 1 tsp chili lime seasoning, found at Trader Joes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into quarters (or you can use olive oil)
- 1 can of chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
Create the Foil Packets:
- Cut 3-4 foil pieces into 14 x 10 inch sections.
- Lay them out separately on the counter.
Season the Scallops:
- Set oven temperature at 425° degrees F.
- Add scallops to a medium mixing bowl.
- Coat the scallops with chili lime seasoning, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Evenly separate the broccoli and scallops and add them to each foil rectangle.
- Add garlic and butter evenly on each packet.
- Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of chicken broth over the broccoli in each packet.
- Fold the packet long ways over the broccoli and scallops. then fold in the ends lightly. Do not seal the packet super tight you want it to have a vent.
- Add the packets to a large sheet pan and place them in the oven.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Check the scallops so as not to over cook them. The broccoli may still be too tough if so you can remove the scallops and place the broccoli back in for 5 minutes. We like our broccoli semi-tough/steamed and 15 minutes was perfect.
- Grill This Recipe: Preheat grill to med-high heat and place packets on the grates of the grill. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
Make this recipe your own:
Feel free to use your own favorite flavorings, like Old Bay Seasoning, or cajun seasonings. Add a squeeze of lemon or lime to the packets.
Try adding white wine instead of chicken broth or drizzle with olive oil instead of butter.
You could cook shrimp and scallops together and then the broccoli separate so you can cook it a bit longer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I hope you enjoy these super easy scallops foil packets with broccoli! Also, try this great camping meal- Sausage and Vegetable Foil Packets by my friend Amanda!