Looking for a beef stew that is hearty as well as delicious? This is The Best Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Recipe I have ever tried. It takes a little work to get the ingredients ready but it is well worth the preparation. For more winter soup recipes see my Soups page.
Have you tried using an Instant Pot for cooking yet? We bought a Pressure Cooker last year and it now has a permanent space on the counter. You can make so many dishes in minutes. I will say there is a learning curve when it comes to using one of these gadgets and my husband has mastered many a dish with ours.
Our Pressure Cooker Spicey Beer Chili Recipe is a great one to try next.
He found this Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Recipe on the Serious Eats website, you can their full recommendations there. When my husband Chris made this the first time, I swooned at how the flavors were so hearty and rich. There are a ton of ingredients and a lot of prep but I promise you will not be disappointed.
We did some tweaking to simplify this complicated recipe so it would be easier to replicate. We managed to get the potato, carrot and beef chunk consistency just to our liking. This beef stew recipe has become a family favorite comfort food dish. Here’s what we did!
Best Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 lb beef chuck stew meat, buy already cut in chunks or a beef chuck roast, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 10 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock, we use Better Than Bullion and make our own
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, we use low sodium
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 6 oz frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium size carrots, 2 whole and 4 cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 large size sweet onion, peeled, sliced in half
- 2 small sized celery ribs with leaves
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin, 1 oz
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbls flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine chicken stock, gelatin, tomato paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in a blender. Blend on high speed until combined. Set aside.
- In the pressure cooker, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season beef chunks with salt and pepper and add to pressure cooker. Cook, turning occasionally until beef is well browned on 2 sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to a large plate and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to pressure cooker and cook, stirring, until liquid is released and mushrooms begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Lower heat as necessary to prevent scorching. Add chopped carrots and pearl onions and cook, stirring, until well browned on all sides. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add halved yellow onion to pressure cooker, cut side down. Add 2 whole carrots, celery ribs, and garlic. Cook, turning carrots, celery, and garlic occasionally until all vegetables are well browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add wine, scrape up browned bits with a spoon, and cook until reduced by three-quarters, about 3 minutes. Add reserved stock mixture from step one.
- Toss cut seared steaks with flour. Add bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Stir to combine, seal pressure cooker, and bring to high pressure. Cook for 30 minutes, then rapidly release pressure and open cooker.
- Remove whole carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves, and onion. Add potatoes and reserved sautéed mushrooms, pearl onions, and carrots to stew, reseal cooker, bring to high pressure, and cook 15 minutes longer. Rapidly release pressure.
- Stir in peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with cornbread muffins.
Recipe adapted from the Serious Eats Website.
Love it? Pin it!
Even more Soup Recipes:
- Pasta e Fagioli Italian Soup Recipe
- Shrimp Chowder
- Turkey Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Low Carb Zuppa Tucana Soup Recipe by Domestically Creative
My Fav Amazon Pressure Cooker Accessories:
- InstaPot Duo Plus 60, 6qt
- Mery Instapot Accessories Kit
- 12 Piece InstaPot Accessories Set
- 3 Piece Divided Veggie Steamer Basket
See more of my Favourite soup recipes!
Sign up to get a dose of style and inspiration + access to my exclusive TRENDY WALL ART PRINTABLE BUNDLE just for Made in a Day newsletter subscribers!