This post may include affiliate links to find a product mentioned. See my full Disclosure Policy.
Years ago when I was learning how to bake I found this wonderful cookbook called The Cake Mix Doctor. Making great cakes out of cake mix is right up my alley.
When I was little I used to watch my mother make cakes from scratch, sifting the flour and using a ton of ingredients. They always turned out so fabulous, but man it’s a lot of work. Well, with this book you can make cakes from boxed cake mix taste just as fab the homemade versions, mostly by adding pudding mix and sour cream and extra eggs.
This Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cake Recipe is the one and only chocolate cake my husband will eat. I make it once a year during the holidays and can say it’s a family favorite in our house!
To me, the best cake mix brand is Duncan Hines and I use the Deviled Food Chocolate flavor for this recipe. I found when I use any other the cake mix, the cake just does not taste the same. That includes the mixes out there by The Cake Mix Doctor brand. Here’s my version~
Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cake
- 1 pkg. plain Devils food or Dark Chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 pkg. Chocolate instant pudding mix 3.9oz
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- cup ½warm water
- cup ½vegetable oil
- 1 package Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups confectioner's powdered sugar
- 4 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and oil a bundt pan.
- Place cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, warm water and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend for 3-4 minutes with electric mixer.
- Fold in 3/4 a bag of chocolate chips.
- Mix on low for 5-10 seconds to make sure the chips are well distributed throughout batter.
- Pour into pan and place in oven.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and just pulls away from pan.
- Cool on wire rack 20 min.
- Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- Pour confectioner’s sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add milk to the sugar until you get the consistency you like, I like mine on the thick side so I use less milk.
- Stir until all sugar is melted and smooth.
- Drizzle over cake with a spoon.
- Sprinkle remaining chips over icing.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set the icing.
~Recipe adapted from Darn Good Chocolate Cake Recipe, Cake Mix Doctor book.
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Check out more of our families Favorite Recipes~