I have found my favorite summer cocktail! We can’t get enough of this super juicy La Sandia or Watermelon Margarita recipe easy to make. Blue Plate Taco in Santa Monica Copycat. For more summer recipes see my Cocktails + Drinks page.
This summer we took a ten day trip to Santa Monica. My husband’s work office is there and he goes there quite often but his time we took the whole family to experience the vibrant area of Santa Monic and Venice Beach. California is a great place to take the family on vacation. Being from the East Coast, to me California is a completely different atmosphere. So fun!
Want to see more of what we did? See my what to do in Four Days in Los Angeles post from a couple of years ago to get the feel of where we were. We ate (at my new fav restaurant) in Santa Monica, Blue Plate Taco. It was so yummy we had it two times when we were visiting.
The menu is full of Mexican specialties and each dish we tried was just amazing. My favorite dish was the Chicken Enchiladas, but the true winner was the La Sandia Margarita that I had there. I just knew I needed to recreate it so I could have it at home! The fresh watermelon taste with lime, hint of salt and a very subtle taste of a great tequila is perfect on a hot summer day!
La Sandia Watermelon Margarita Recipe Easy
- 1 1/2 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec liqueur
- 1 oz lime juice
- 5 oz watermelon, pureed
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 oz blue agave nectar (optional)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (optional)
- Blend watermelon chunks in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Add tequila, Triple Sec, watermelon, lime, agave (optional) and ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake well.
- Add salt to a saucer plate. Wet the edge of the glass with lime juice and push it into the salt to rim glass.
- Pour cocktail into salt rimmed glass and enjoy!
- I opted to skip the agave nectar in this cocktail. To me, it made the margarita too sweet. The watermelon adds enough sweetness for my taste.
- You can add 1 cup of water to the watermelon chunks before blending to make watermelon juice. Strain the juice to remove the pulp and proceed.
The calories for this recipe are an estimate for a simple margarita. Some ingredients were not available to get an accurate calorie count.
Nutrition InformationYield 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 500
Love it? Pin it!
More Cocktail & Watermelon Recipes:
- Watermelon Layer Cake
- Summer Watermelon Recipes
- Summer TropicalCocktail Recipes
- Strawberry Melon Fizz by C’mon Get Crafty
My Must-Have Amazon Cocktail and Watermelon Picks:
- 15-inch Round Watermelon Slicer
- Watermelon Slicer Tongs Bundle
- Watermelon Keg Tapping Kit
- Blue Margarita Glass Set
BY SIGNING UP YOU ARE AGREEING TO GET WEEKLY EMAIL UPDATES FROM MADE IN A DAY.