Yay! It’s Vidalia Onion season and you must try this Corn Tomato Salad with Vidalia Onions! Some of you are probably asking what is a Vidalia Onion? Well, it’s the tastiest onion in the south, yall. When these beauties come into season each year, I stock up on them like a super hoarder.
These onions have been grown in Vidalia, Georgia since the early 1930’s. The reason behind that is the low sulfur content in the soil where the onions are grown make them super sweet. They are hands down my favorite onion.
This recipe is great for any BBQ or get-together. But don’t fret if you are not able to get your hands on some Vidalia onions, you can use any sweet onion for this recipe and it will turn out just as great.
- 3 cans of white corn, or 4 grilled corn ears
- 3/4 of a package of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup of bell pepper, (I used one red, one orange)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/2 clove minced garlic
- Combine corn, tomatoes, onion, peppers, basil, garlic and jalapeño pepper in a large bowl.
- Add salt and pepper and toss.
- Add lime juice and oil and toss.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to blend seasoning
- Turn or toss every 15 minutes.
I make this salad hours before serving. I put this salad in a sealed plastic container and turn it to blend ingredients every 15-20 minutes. For a different twist on flavor switch out the basil for cilantro. Both ways taste just as great!
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 76Saturated Fat 0.4gSodium 105mgCarbohydrates 12.4gFiber 2.1gSugar 3.5gProtein 2g
I hope you enjoy this recipe, it’s one of my family new summer fav’s!
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
More Salad Recipes:
- Crunchy Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Corn Tomato Salad with Vidalia Onions
- Seafood Salad Recipe
- Homemade Whipped Cream Fruit Salad by My Pinterventures
Must-Have Salad Resources:
- Salad Cutter Bowl
- Salad Fresh Container w/ Separate Dressing Compartment
- Salad Spinner Lettuce Dryer
- Mandoline Slicer & Spiralizer
Check out more of my Families Favorite Recipes~
BY SIGNING UP YOU ARE AGREEING TO GET WEEKLY EMAIL UPDATES FROM MADE IN A DAY.