There are probably thousands of Taco Soup Recipes out there, but I’m still going to share mine. This Ground Turkey Taco Soup Recipe is a simple soup to make and feeds a crowd. This lightened up version is a family staple in our house. For more recipes like this see my soup recipe page.
My husband and kids love this recipe so much we make twice a month or more. And what’s great about it is its simplicity. Grab some ground turkey instead of hamburger and throw in a bunch of cans of veggies and that’s it! Super fast meal for busy weekday nights.
Our personal favorite way to eat this soup is like nachos. Strain out the liquid with a slotted spoon, scoop over a pile of tortilla chips, top with sour cream and cheddar cheese and I’m in heaven! So for all my friends, followers and neighbors who haven’t tried it, here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
Want to know the secret to getting meat to be in fine crumbles?
TIP: Take a potato masher and grind the cooked meat to reduce the size of the chunks and to make it more like minced taco meat. Your welcome!
Ground Turkey Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 15 1/2 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 1/2 oz black beans
- 1 15 1/2 oz can kidney beans
- 1 15 1/4 oz can whole kernel corn
- 1 14 1/2 oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 oz can Rotel tomatoes with lime chiles
- 1 4 1/2 oz cans diced green chiles
- 1 1 1/4 oz package taco seasoning mix
- 1 oz package Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix
- Corn chips, for serving
- For garnish: sour cream, grated cheese, chopped green onions, (optional) black olives, jalapenos.
- Brown the ground turkey and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat.
- **Quick tip: Take a potato masher and grind the meat while cooking to reduce size of chunks and to make more like minced taco meat.**
- Transfer the browned turkey and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot.
- Add all the beans, corn, all tomatoes, green chiles, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix.
- I like to drain my beans and corn to reduce sodium. If you want a little more flavor do not drain can vegtables.
- Add a can of water so the soup is not dry, it will reduce some.
- Cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour in a stock pot on the stove.
- To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them. Top with sour cream, cheese, green onions, black olives and jalapenos.
You can serve as nachos, over tortilla chips or as a soup!
Nutrition InformationYield 12
Amount Per Serving Calories 225
Love it? Pin it!
BY SIGNING UP YOU ARE AGREEING TO GET WEEKLY EMAIL UPDATES FROM MADE IN A DAY.