Looking for a great imitation crab Mexican recipe? My Seafood Enchiladas with Imitation Crab is the closest thing to my fav restaurant version. For more recipes see my Recipe Index page.
Today I am sharing another family favorite recipe, seafood enchiladas with Imitation crab! Of course, if you are not into imitation crab, you can use real crab, shrimp or scallops in this dish and it would still be great.
When I was younger, my family would always go to Chi-Chi’s Mexican Restaurant. They had this amazing dish called Chi Chi’s Crab Enchiladas or “The Cancun’. It was made using real crab meat, it was so rich you could hardly eat all of it. That became my favorite Mexican food dish!
The restaurant is now closed but finding a similar recipe was my goal and many years ago I found this one. It isn’t exactly the same as the Chi Chi’s one but we love it.
I have no idea where I found the original recipe, but that doesn’t matter because I have changed it anyway. I will tell you though if you do not love imitation crab then buy real crab meat or saute shrimp for this dish.
What is Imitation Crab?
Imitation crab is actually cooked fish. If you read the package it will usually read that it is made from a fish, usually Pollock. The fish meat is pressed and shaped it into what looks like crab meat.
Imitation crab is used to make Surimi sushi, which is cooked fish sushi, not the raw fish sushi.
If you have been afraid to try sushi, just know you can order the ‘cooked” fish or imitation crab, like California Rolls without the fear of raw fish allergies.
How to cook Imitation Crab
You can eat imitation crab right out of the package. But I like to saute it.
Fish disguised as a crab can be quite bland so seasoning it up a bit and cooking it in real butter really brings out a rich crab taste.
I have grown to love imitation crab more than real crab and I hope you will too!
Seafood Enchiladas with Imitation Crab
Add the Filling to the center of a burrito or corn tortilla, fold and place in pan fold side down.
Pour Enchilada sauce over the wraps and top with cheese. Here is the full recipe.
- 1.5 lbs Imitation Crab
- 2 cups Four Cheese Mexican Blend
- 1 large can or 2 small cans Old el Paso Enchilada Sauce
- Large burrito wraps or corn wraps
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 small onion diced small
- 1/2 tsp Cilantro
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in deep skillet on medium heat.
- Add onion, crab meat, salt, pepper and saute until onions are clear.
- Add cilantro, sour cream and 1 cup cheese.
- Blend and reduce heat to low.
- Add few shakes of hot sauce and blend.
- Separate crab mix evenly into 4-6 servings in pan.
- Place one section of filling down middle of burrito, then wrap and fold.
- Add to the dish fold side down and repeat.
- Pour enchilada sauce over center of wraps and top with cheese.
- Bake 25-30 min.
- Serve with sour cream & green onions for garnish.
I serve with Uncle Bens Santa Fe Rice and black beans. The hot sauce I use is from the Tijuana Flats restaurant, "Smack Your Ass and Call Me Sally" Sauce.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Nutrition InformationYield 5
Amount Per Serving Calories 595
Madeinaday.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.