Keep the kids busy this Thanksgiving by letting them make these super cute Oreo turkey cookies with pretzels for legs! Serve them as fun treats for the big day! For more Thanksgiving ideas see my Fall + Thanksgiving page.
These cute turkeys made from sandwich cookies are the perfect way to add some fun to the kiddie table! You can whip up a batch of these in no time to give to the kids when they finish their turkey dinner. It makes a great pie alternative too for those picky eaters!
This kid-friendly recipe project or dessert dish would be great for classroom parties, family nights, or a fun dish to bring to a group family gathering.
Oreo Turkey Cookies with Pretzels
Let’s cover all of the bases of how to make turkey cookies.
What type of cookies can I use?
You do not have to use Oreo sandwich cookies in this recipe. You can use homemade cookies or other creme-filled sandwich cookies. Use whatever you like best.
How do I make the cookies and candy stick together?
In this recipe, I used store-bought icing in a tube. You can also use melted chocolate or chocolate chips to adhere the candy to the cookie but you may need to refrigerate the cookies so the chocolate can set.
You can also use your own icing. It’s just easier with no fuss to buy the premade icing.
What if can’t find all of the items you used?
- Oreo Cookies or other sandwich type cookies
- Candy Corn Candy
- Candy Eyes & Candy Eyes with Lashes (by Wilton at Michaels)
- 1 tube of White Frosting, 7oz
- Pretzel Sticks
Alternate nose ideas are white or peanut butter chips.
You can also use a dab of red gel icing to make the turkeys snood! The “snood” is that fleshy red skin around the beak.
How do I store them and how long do they last?
These cute easy turkey cookies can easily be made a couple of days ahead and last up to two weeks in a sealed tight storage container.
Let’s make the cookies!
Carefully separate the cookies and add three candy corn candies to the icing side of the cookies. Add extra icing as needed to make them stick.
Cut a pretzel stick in half and place them on the bottom of the cookie to make legs.
Add a few dots of the premade icing to the center of the cookie and place the other half of the Oreo back on top of the other cookie.
Using the premade icing as glue, use a dot of icing on the back of the candy eyes and place them on each cookie.
Using the premade icing as glue, add a dot of icing on the back of a piece of candy corn and place it on the cookie as a nose. That’s it! Repeat the steps to make more!
- 24 Oreo Cookies
- 96 pieces of Candy Corn Candy
- 48 Candy Eyes
- 1 tube of Frosting, 7oz
- 48 Pretzel Sticks
1. Twist to open an Oreo and carefully separate it.
2. Place candy corns point side in on the frosting side half of the cookie. Use frosting as the glue to create Turkey feathers.
3. Cut a pretzel stick in half and stick them on the bottom of the cookie to create the look of legs.
4. Add a line of frosting across the candy corn and pretzels. Place the other half of the cookie back onto the candy half.
5. Add a dot of frosting to the candy eyes and place them on the cookie.
6. Add a dot of frosting to a piece of candy corn and place it on the cookie as the nose. Enjoy!
I hope you have enjoyed my fun Oreo turkey cookies with pretzel legs! It’s an adorable treat that I am positive the kiddos will love!
Love this idea but are uanble to make them?
Love it? Pin it!
NEW! Christmas Baking Planner!
Guess what? I am opening a printable store right here on the blog! Coming soon!
Grab your free planner now to keep organized this season! Great for keeping track of baked goods gifts!