Do you love the beach? Well, if you do, then you will love these beach themed pull apart cupcake cakes! These easy to make desserts are perfect for a summer party or simply as a delicious snack. For more sweet treats see my Dessert page.
Beach themed cupcake cakes are the perfect way to celebrate a birthday or summer party. Just grab a cupcake and from the cupcake cluster and eat!
Beach Themed Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
This summer fun treat is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. You can use store bought cake mix and icing or go all out and use your family favorite cake and icing recipes!
The cupcakes are decorated with colorful starfish, island items and sugar crumbs for the beach! The frosting is a delicious, creamy vanilla buttercream flavor.
How to Make Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- CUPCAKES: Use your favorite cupcake recipe or box mix.
- ICING: Use you favorite frosting recipe or store-bought jarred icings. Add 2 drops Royal Blue gel food color to make the blue water icing.
- BEACH: Use buttercream icing sprinkled and topped with brown sugar to make the sand. Brown Sugar Alternatives are: cookies crushed fine with a food processor.
How to Frost a Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- After cupcakes have cooled completely and buttercream is mixed and ready to go, line the cupcakes closely on the cake board.
IMPORTANT: Add a small amount of white buttercream to the bottom of each cupcake to glue it in place to anchor the cupcakes and keep the cupcakes sliding around.
- Fill a frosting piping bag with the buttercream that has been dyed blue with gel food coloring.
- Cut off the tip of the piping bag and pipe zig zag rows of buttercream across the cupcakes.
- Use an “offset” spatula or a spoon to create “waves” on the cupcakes.
SMART TIP: If you are having trouble filling in the gaps between the cupcakes. You can add small cookies as a bridge to hold the frosting.
Writing on the Pull Apart Cake:
- Fill a piping bag with the #5 frosting tip and fill it with white buttercream.
- Write message then add the cake accent toppers.
Making the Sandy Shoreline:
- Pipe a thick line of white buttercream around all 4 sides of the pull apart cake.
- Spread the frosting out with an offset spatula or spoon.
- Top the frosting with the brown sugar to create the illusion of a sandy shoreline.
- Lightly press the brown sugar into the buttercream so it doesn’t fall off when moving the pull apart cake.
- Place the beach themed cake toppers on the cake and serve!
MAKE AHEAD: Wrap cupcakes in wax paper and place them in an airtight container. Keep on the counter for up to one week.
FREEZER: Wrap in wax paper and place them in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost cupcakes while wrapped so they do not get sticky or gooey.
Beach Themed Pull Apart Cupcakes
- 2 drops Royal Blue gel food color
- 12 prebaked cupcakes, cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2-4 cups buttercream icing
- Line up the cupcakes, 4 to a row on the cake board.
- Add a small amount of white buttercream to the bottom of each cupcake to anchor them in place on the board.
- Divide up the buttercream and make one bowl of icing blue by adding 2 drops of the blue food coloring to the icing, Mix it to blend the blue.
- Fill a piping bag with the blue buttercream, cut off the tip of the piping bag and pipe zig zag rows of buttercream.
- Use an offset spatula or a spoon to create “waves” on the cupcakes.
- If writing on the pull apart, fit a piping bag with a #5 icing tip and fill with white buttercream and write your message.
- Add a thick wide line of white buttercream around all 4 sides of the pull apart cake. Spread out the icing with the offset spatula or spoon.
- Top the icing around the cupcakes on the cake board with brown sugar to create the illusion of “sand”. Press the brown sugar into the buttercream so it doesn’t fall off when moving the pull apart cake.
The information shown is an estimate provided by a nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. Values may vary depending on the brand of foods used.
- 1 cake plate or board
- 1 offset icing spatula or spoon
- 1 #5 piping tip for writing on the cake
- 3 12 or 16-inch piping bags
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
FREE Meal Planning Checklist + Mini Planner
Get my FREE Mini Meal Planning checklist & Mini Planning page. PLUS access to my new FREE 8-Day Email Mini Course on Meal Planning and Batch Cooking!
Love it Pin it!