This post may include affiliate links to find a product mentioned. See my full Disclosure Policy.
I would like to share this great recipe that has quickly become a family favorite around here! What is so great about this sausage and rice skillet recipe is that you can change up the ingredients and it still tastes amazing. In this recipe, I used cauliflower along with my sausage and rice.
The original recipe had broccoli as the main veggie and red bell peppers mixed in. I’m not a fan of bell peppers, so I left them out, but the original recipe has broccoli with the sausage and rice and is a really yummy combination. To add more zing to the recipe I used some Emeril’s Essence Seasoning to wake up of the flavor of this dish.
Another easy way to add more flavor and save time is to use Seeds of Change or Uncle Ben’s packaged microwavable rice packets. I used Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice in this recipe. Seed’s of Change rice varieties are pretty awesome. If you haven’t tried them yet, you should grab one on your next visit to the grocery store. I hope you enjoy this new simple weeknight favorite as much as we do!
- 1 pkg Smoked Sausage or Turkey Sausage
- 1 Sweet Onion, sliced thin
- 1 pkg Cauliflower or Broccoli, cooked
- 4 cups Brown rice
- 1 can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Emeril's Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced thin (optional)
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil.
- Slice smoked sausage and add to pan and toss for 5 minutes until brown.
- Remove sausage slices from pan and lay on paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil, onion and garlic (Red Bell Peppers if using) to skillet and saute.
- Cook rice separately as per directions on package.
- Add broth, Emeril's seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, cauliflower and sausage into the skillet with the onion and garlic.
- Stir in rice and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
This recipe is also great using broccoli or other vegetables, instead of cauliflower. This recipe is adapted from Hillshire Farm's Easy Smoked Sausage Skillet.
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per ServingCalories 650