Try this yummy flavorful less soupy version of this classic side dish! Creamy layered Cheesy Green Bean Casserole with Crackers topped with french fried onions! For more recipes like this one see my Side Dish page.
This is not your usual Green Bean Casserole! It has crackers & cheese in it, which makes it so so good! I have never really been a fan of the original classic version that everyone makes. To me it is just really runny and kind of mushy.
I found this recipe years ago in an old southern recipe book. I tried it and have been in love with it ever since. Instead of stirring the cream of mushroom soup into it you layer it. So no mush! The saltine crackers add a crunchy texture that everyone will love. This casserole is a family favorite around here. Here’s how we make it!
Cheese and Cracker Green Bean Casserole
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cans Cut Green Beans, drained or you can use fresh green beans, but cook them first until they are fork-tender.
- 3/4 sleeve of crushed Saltines
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- French-fried onions
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the soup and milk.
- Arrange evenly one can of green beans in bottom of greased 2 qt. square baking dish.
- Salt and pepper the beans.
- Spoon half of the soup mix over beans, sprinkle half of the saltines and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Repeat again for the next layer.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add the French Fried Onions and cook for 5 minutes more.
My family fights over this awesome casserole and there are usually no left overs! I hope you like it as much as we do.
Amount Per Serving Calories 170
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
MAKE AHEAD: Place single servings in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
FREEZER: Place in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in a microwave or in the refrigerator overnight. Bake on 350 for 25 minutes or microwave for 5 minutes on high until done.
Love it? Pin it!
Try more of our family’s favorite recipes!