When I was young, creamed peas were a side dish staple that you could find served along with fried chicken or other comfort food dishes. I fell in love with this sweet creamy dish as a child. Nowadays it seems to be a rarity to find it on any restaurant menus.
Creamed peas are basically sweet peas in a white sauce or bechamel sauce. Sounds simple enough. Well, that was until I tried the au gratin peas at Ruth Chris’s Steakhouse. Their sweet peas are baked and topped with a layer of cheddar cheese. Yes please and keep them coming!
That’s when I went on a quest to find the recipe! The one that came the closest, in my opinion, is Emeril’s Sweet Peas Au Gratin. I think it is because of the addition of his own seasoning mix Emeril’s Original Essence. I did, however, make this delicious recipe a little less glamorous. Here is my version of his dish. Enjoy!
Au Gratin Creamed Peas
- 2 tbsp butter + 1 tsp butter
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 16oz bag organic frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Emerili's Original Essence
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x9 baking dish with the 1 teaspoon of butter and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the onions and season them lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to make a paste.
- Slowly stir in the milk and whisk to blend the mixture. Bring to a bubbling simmer.
- Cook the flour mixture for 4 to 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Add in the peas, salt & pepper to taste, stir to blend and pour into the 9x9 dish.
- In a small bowl mix the Emeri's Essence with the breadcrumbs, then sprinkle them over the peas. Top breadcrumbs with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 300
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Check out more of my families favorite recipes~
BY SIGNING UP YOU ARE AGREEING TO GET WEEKLY EMAIL UPDATES FROM MADE IN A DAY.