OBrien Potato Casserole aka funeral potatoes! Yummy cheesy potatoes with peppers and onions then topped with french fried onions! The perfect take along dish! Find more recipes like this on my Side Dishes recipe page.
This recipe is one of my family’s favorite comfort food casseroles. The zesty taste of peppers onions, cheese blend with a so well we just can’t get enough of it. In our house there usually aren’t any leftovers to spare.
Why is this dish called Funeral Potatoes?
This casserole is also known as funeral potatoes because it is a popular comforting dish to bring to the home of someone who has lost a family member.
This potato au gratin potatoes side dish is also great for brunch as a hash brown casserole as well as a dinner potato side staple.
There are a ton of versions of these cheesy potatoes out there, some made with traditional hash browns or fresh shredded potatoes. Others with cream of mushroom instead of cream of celery.
I hope you will love it as much as we do! Here’s our version of the popular dish.
OBrien Potato Casserole
- 1 2lb bag of frozen Potatoes O'Brien, thaw in microwave
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 can Cream of Celery soup
- French fried onions topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl, cover and microwave for 8 minutes to thaw.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour mixture into a 2 qt. casserole dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with onions and bake for 5 more minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Nutrition InformationYield 10
Amount Per Serving Calories 456
Love it? Pin it!
Check out more of family favorite recipes~
Sign up to get a dose of style and inspiration + access to my exclusive TRENDY WALL ART PRINTABLE BUNDLE just for Made in a Day newsletter subscribers!