Add flavor to a family favorite try our Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese with your next healthy meal choice. Just sprinkle with parmesan, roast in the oven and enjoy! For more recipes like this see my Side Dish page.
Asparagus is one of the easiest side dishes to make. I like it best on my clean eating days with roasted chicken or salmon. It also goes great with heavier meals like steak and roast beef dishes.
We like our asparagus roasted in the oven pretty much just like how we love our roasted brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage steaks. Drizzled with olive oil and seasonings then roasted in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Then topped with parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes.
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese
Ways to Season Asparagus:
You can add other toppings or seasonings to create different flavors. I like the basic salt, pepper and garlic powder and sprinkled with cheese.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar for a zestier taste.
- Top with pats of butter
- Sliced lemons or lemon zest
- Spice it up with sprinkles of red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle with fresh grated or shredded parmesan cheese
How to Prepare Asparagus for Cooking:
- Wash the asparagus to remove any soil or debris. Use a sharp knife, or my favorite way, cooking scissors to trim the hard root ends (1.5-2 inches) off of the asparagus stalk.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a metal cooking sheet and place the asparagus on the paper.
I love lining my pans with parchment paper to roast or bake. Not only does it make the food not stick to the pan, it’s an easy clean up by tossing the paper away when you are finished.
How to Make Steamed Asparagus
- Pour 2-inches of water into a large saucepan with steamer basket. (I use a stock pot and a metal pasta strainer).
- Bring the water to boil. Place the asparagus in the basket and cover with the lid.
- Steam until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place asparagus in a serving dish, drizzle lightly with the olive oil or melted butter. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with grated or shredded parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- 1 1lb bunch of fresh asparagus
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp of grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the root ends of the asparagus and discard them.
- Place the asparagus on the parchment paper and drizzle with 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil, just enough to lightly coat the asparagus.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over the asparagus, and roll/toss until the spears are lightly coated in oil.
- Arrange the spears in a single layer on the pan.
- Roast until the asparagus ends are easily pierced with a fork. Thin asparagus may take 5-10 minutes and thicker asparagus may 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with sprinkled parmesan or the other toppings listed in the post above.
I have roasted asparagus drizzled with both olive oil and balsamic vinegar together. It has a zestier taste. Don't be afraid to try different flavors until you find your favorite! Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 93Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 291mgCarbohydrates 5.6gFiber 2.6gSugar 2.6gProtein 2.6g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Shop my Fav Foodie Items
Love it? Pin it!