This post may include affiliate links to find a product mentioned. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy.
One of my all-time favorite side dishes is Southern Style Steamed Cabbage, it is so tender and tasty! Even if you do not like cabbage you must try this recipe, it just may win you over. Pair this great side dish with a spiral ham and you’ve got one amazing meal.
I grew up in the south and any time you go to a blue plate diner you will find this dish right next to the fried okra and macaroni & cheese on the “pick your side” part of the menu. I am telling you my kids even love it and that’s big.
I like my steamed cabbage a little less tender than some recipes. I like to still see some green in the leaves which in turn makes it not so mushy. Even though I use ham (or bacon your choice) to flavor the cabbage, I don’t like to overpower it with the meat either. Let’s get started & make some cabbage!
- 1 large head of cabbage, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tbsp of canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 small pieces of cooked ham, 1-2 bacon strips or Ready to Serve Real Bacon Bits
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot to medium heat.
- Add the canola oil, ham or bacon and toss together to flavor the oil and get the juices going in the meat.
- Cut your cabbage in half and discard any damaged outer leaves.
- Cut each half of the cabbage into 2 inch square chunks.
- Add the cabbage to the oil and ham mixture.
- Toss and stir the cabbage to ensure the oil is on every piece of cabbage.
- Add water, cover and turn heat down to low.
- Stir cabbage every 10 minutes until tender.
The longer you steam the cabbage the more tender it will become. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 73 Saturated Fat 0.4g Cholesterol 1mg Sodium 66mg Carbohydrates 8.8g Fiber 3.8g Sugar 4.8g Protein 2.4g