Have you ever tried Christmas Crack cookies? Well here is the recipe to make sweet and salty chocolate crunch bars using Saltine crackers, butter, and chocolate! So yummy! For more recipes like this pone see my Desserts page.
Every year I make these yummy bark like bars during the holidays. They are sweet and salty at the same time because the base is a saltine cracker covered in semi-sweet chocolate! There is also brown sugar involved, so it has that popular salted caramel vibe we all seem to be craving.
I got this recipe from the old Kraft magazines that were available ten years ago or so. There were some really great recipes in those magazines. A lot of super easy weeknight dinners and great desserts.
I yanked the pages out of mine and now I have a pile of papers I go through to find what I need. Silly me, I should have just saved the books!
Now on to the dessert! Christmas Crack AKA Sweet and Salty Chocolate Crunch Bars are a super easy recipe that would be suitable for kids to make. Just help them with the oven part!
Sweet and Salty Chocolate Crunch Bars
Evenly line a baking pan with saltine crackers.
Pour butter and brown sugar mixture over crackers and bake.
- 35 Saltine Crackers, about one sleeve
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. We love Ghirardelli
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line crackers in a single layer on a foil lined baking pan.
- Heat butter and sugar in a small saucepan on medium-high heat until melted and the mixture is well blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Boil 3 minutes without stirring.
- Pour mixture evenly over crackers.
- Bake 5 minutes to 7 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and push crackers back together so they are touching. Immediately pour the chocolate chips evenly over the crackers.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes so the chocolate will melt. They will look shiny when they start to melt. After 5 minutes if they still are not melted, return the pan to the oven for 1-2 minutes to aid in the melting of the chocolate.
- With a spatula spread the chocolate out evenly over crackers.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Cool the pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove and break up crackers into bark like pieces.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 16
Amount Per Serving Calories 210
Do you have a similar holiday recipe? I would love to hear about!
Love it? Pin it!