This post may include affiliate links to find a product mentioned. See my full Disclosure Policy.
Every year I make these yummy bark like bars during the holidays. They are sweet and salty at the same time because the base is a saltine cracker covered in semi-sweet chocolate! There is also brown sugar involved, so it has that popular salted caramel vibe we all seem to be craving.
I got this recipe from the old Kraft magazines that were available ten years ago or so. There were some really great recipes in those magazines. A lot of super easy weeknight dinners and great desserts. I yanked the pages out of mine and now I have a pile of papers I go through to find what I need. Silly me, I should have just saved the books!
If you would like to check them out, most of the recipes are now online on kraftrecipes(dot)com.
Now on to the dessert! Sweet and Salty Chocolate Crunch Bars are a super easy recipe would be suitable for kids to make. Just help them with the oven part!
Evenly line a baking pan with saltine crackers.
Pour butter and brown sugar mixture over crackers and bake.
- 1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers
- 1/2 cup of margarine
- 1/2 packed light brown sugar
- 2 Ghirardelli Semi Sweet Bakers bars or 1 bag of semi-sweet mini chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line crackers in a single layer on a foil lined baking pan.
- Heat butter and sugar in a small saucepan on medium high heat until melted and mixture is well blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Boil 3 minutes without stirring.
- Pour over crackers.
- Bake 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and push crackers back together so they are touching. Immediately pour the chopped chocolate evenly over the crackers.
- Let it stand 5 minutes so chocolate will melt.
- With a spatula spread the chocolate out evenly over crackers.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Cool in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove and break up crackers into bark like pieces.
Nutrition InformationYield 16
Amount Per ServingCalories 210