This post may include affiliate links to find a product mentioned. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy.
Looking for the old southern style recipe for homemade banana pudding from scratch? This is the original Nilla Baked Banana Pudding Recipe that my mother in law makes! So sweet and yummy! For more recipes like this one see my sweets page.
Nilla Baked Banana Pudding Recipe
Every southern family has some form of banana pudding recipe. It can be as simple as an instant pudding mix or a slow stovetop pudding mix, both topped with whipped cream. In our house, we love the old fashioned made from scratch pudding version topped with toasted meringue.
This recipe originated on the back of a Nilla Wafer box. This classic dish has layers of Nilla Wafer cookies, homemade made from scratch pudding, and yummy banana slices. The best part is the lightly sweet meringue and its tall peaks toasted in the oven. Not a fan of meringue? Then simply top with your favorite whipped cream topping. Here is our version of this southern classic dessert!
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 6 egg yokes, with egg whites in separate bowl
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 45 NILLA Wafers, divided
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
1. Add 1 cup of sugar, flour, and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 6 egg yolks and milk. Set aside egg whites in a bowl. Cook mixture, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
2. Spread a small amount of pudding on the bottom of a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Cover with a layer of wafers and then a layer of sliced bananas. Pour 1/3 of pudding over bananas. Repeat to make 3 layers ending with pudding on top.
3. Using a mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff. Spoon on top of the pudding, spreading evenly to cover the entire surface of the pudding.
4. Place in the oven on 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. Cool and refrigerate. Keep refrigerated after serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 288 Net Carbohydrates 50g
Love it? Pin it!
Check out more yummy desserts here~