Does your handbag need shaping? This Purse Fix DIY Bag Shaper from a plastic sheet is just the answer to how to fix a saggy purse. Get added support to a handbag. For more fun posts like this see my Fashion DIY page.
It all started when I found a fabulous Steve Madden satchel purse at Marshall’s. I am a deranged purse addict and it usually takes me weeks before I commit to one. This one had me at hello!
This beauty got my heart racing pretty fast, so I impulsively bought it and couldn’t have been happier….until I got home I saw the dreaded saggy slouch.
I always check purses out pretty well before I buy them. I like flat bottom purses with little metal feet and pretty fabric insides. This one passed all of the tests! when it was stuffed with paper.
Imagine my aggravation when I added my 40 lb wallet and makeup case to it and it wilted like a sad beautiful flower.
That’s when I had the idea for the quick purse fix! I have done this trick before with other handbags using cardboard but, after a while, the paper bends and reverts back to the slouch.
This time I improvised and used a stiff plastic lid from a divided beading/craft box and it came out fabulous!
DIY Purse Fix with Plastic Insert
- Plastic Lid (mine is from a craft box), heavy cardboard/chipboard, or any type of material that will hold it’s shaping through wear and tear but is easy enough to cut through.
- Sharp Scissors (I used the strong kitchen type) or Box Cutter,
- Washable Marker
- Take the plastic lid and measure the bottom of your handbag. Mark your lines with the magic marker.
- Cut out your shape with sharp scissors. Trim slowly so you do not crack the plastic. Trim the edges and round the corners off.
- Wash off the magic marker so you don’t ruin the inside fabric and insert it into the bottom of the handbag. You are done!
You could also go one step further and decoupage the plastic with fabric. I personally like the fact that it is clear so I can see if items get trapped underneath but to each his own.
And that’s it!! I am just so glad this easy fix worked and I didn’t have to return it. I hope this tip helps you too!
Don’t feel like making this but love the look? Shop these bag shaper ideas!
Love it? Pin it!
Check out more of my Fashion DIY Projects!
BY SIGNING UP YOU ARE AGREEING TO GET WEEKLY EMAIL UPDATES FROM MADE IN A DAY.