Looking for a way to add more veggies to your meals? This Eggplant Rollatini with Spinach replaces noodles with vegetables for a slimmer Italian alternative pasta dish. For more recipes like this one see my Recipe Index page.
Mid way through the year I decided to make a change in my diet and exercise and join Beachbody.com. They have a bunch of programs to help you regulate food intake to help you on weight-loss journey.
I chose the 2B Mindset Slim Down plan. See my 2B Mindset Meals roundup post for info on how it works and how you can try it even without a Beachbody membership!
These eggplant roll ups are one of our family’s favorite dinner choices even without being on a diet. Here’s the recipe!
Skinny Baked Eggplant Rollatini with Spinach
- 2-3 eggplants, sliced into 1/4 inch sections lengthwise
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of water
- 1 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 oregano
- 1/2 dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- parchment paper
Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly coat paper with cooking spray (I use olive oil). Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the jar of sauce to a small saucepan. Add Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes and set aside on warm.
- In a small mixing bowl combine ricotta, spinach, salt pepper, and oregano.
- Add a 1/2 of sauce to the bottom of the 13 x 9 inch dish.
- Add a tbsp of spinach and cheese mix to the wide end of a slice of eggplant. Sprinkle a small amount of Italian cheese mix on the mix.
- Roll wide end to narrow end. Place seam side down in rows in the 13 x 9 dish.
- Spoon remaining tomato sauce over the eggplant roll-ups.
- Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Serving size is 3 roll ups.
To make this an even lighter version:
Use 2% reduced-fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Replace the jar spaghetti sauce with low sugar or 2 cups of all-natural tomato sauce. Use only 1/2 cup of cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Love it? Pin it!