Looking for new, different, and flavorful shredded chicken recipes for meal planning? Try these Instant Pot and slow cooker shredded chicken recipes to change up your meals each week. For more recipes like these see my Cook page.
Having shredded chicken on hand can make meal prep easy for busy people. Most shredded chicken recipes are simple to follow and require just a few ingredients. The end result is tender, shredded chicken that you can use in a variety of recipes.
How to make Shredded Chicken
There are lots of ways to cook/ make shredded or pulled chicken. The fastest way is by using an Instant Pot. Slow cookers have been the most popular way for years. You can make shredded chicken in an oven using a dutch oven pot if you do not have a slow cooker.
How to cook Shredded Chicken in Instant Pot
If you’re looking for a way to quickly and easily cook shredded chicken, the Instant Pot is a great option. You can cook fresh or frozen chicken in minutes, so it’s perfect for making quick and easy chicken dinners.
Here are the simple steps to cooking shredded chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Add your desired amount of chicken breasts to the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of liquid, like chicken broth or water.
- Add desired seasonings.
- Secure the lid, and set the vent to “sealed”. Cook on high for 8-10 minutes for fresh chicken breast, and 10-12 minutes for frozen chicken (depending on the thickness of the breasts). Cook time stays the same no matter how many chicken breasts or pieces you add; the pot will just take longer to come to pressure.
- Allow the pressure to release for 5 minutes, then turn the valve to “venting” to release any remaining steam.
How to Cook Chicken in a Slow Cooker
If you do not own an Instant Pot or you would rather use a Slow Cooker the steps are just as simple.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add seasonings.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or broth. One can of “cream of soup” varieties or onions add moisture/water as well. (Some recipes do not require you to add any water when cooking chicken. I prefer to so the meat comes out moist).
- Cook boneless chicken for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours on low. Boneless breasts cook best on a low setting.
- Bone-in breasts, cook on low for 3-4 hours or 1-2 hours on high.
- Bone-in thighs, cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours. High setting is recommended.
- Check the chicken with a thermometer. The safe eating temp for chicken is 165 degrees.
How many cups of shredded chicken?
One large chicken breast equals around 1 cup of shredded chicken.
How do you Shred Chicken?
The simple way is to remove the chicken and place it in a bowl. Use two forks and pull the meat apart to shred it. You can also use a hand mixer or meat shredding claws.
Can you Freeze Cooked Shredded Chicken
The answer is yes! This is the perfect way to always have chicken on hand for recipes! Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator or use the defrost setting microwave and use in any recipe that uses shredded chicken!
MAKE AHEAD: Place single servings in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FREEZER: Place in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
FREE Meal Planning Checklist + Mini Planner
Get my FREE Mini Meal Planning checklist & Mini Planning page. PLUS access to my new FREE 8-Day Email Mini Course on meal Planning and Batch Cooking!
Try one of these Instant Pot recipes! They’re perfect for a quick and easy meal, and they’re sure to be a hit with your family. From simple and healthy Instant Pot shredded chicken recipes to more extravagant options, we have you covered.